- A neurosurgeon of the Ilizarov Center Olga Sergeenko participated in the 54th Annual Meeting & Course of the Scoliosis Research Society. Her trip was covered by annual traveling fellowship program sponsored by SRS fellows. The event was held on September 18-21, 2019 in Montréal, Canada.
- Specialists of the Ilizarov Center, Prof. A.Gubin, M.Teplenky, A.Sudnitsyn took part in a conference "Curso de fijacion externa e infecciones" (Course on external fixation and infection) held by the Colombian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology on the 12- 14th of September in Cartagena, Colombia. Presentations of Kurgan doctors were devoted to the possibilities of the Ilizarov method in solving the problems of traumatology and orthopedics. Mikhail Teplenky, MD, Ph.D. held a workshop for foreign colleagues on the formation of pelvic support in patients with congenital dislocation of the hip joint.
- The 2nd All-Russian Scientific Practical Educational Conference “Safe activity of nurses” united nurses, training staff and organizes of nursing processes on the 27th of September in the Ilizarov Center conference hall. The conference was attended by 290 delegates, including 90 nurses of the Ilizarov clinic as well as representatives of 26 medical institutions of Kurgan, 28 hospitals, ambulatories of the region, professors of St.Petersburg Center for Postgraduate Study, faculty of Nursing Management of Russian University of People Friendship Medical School, specialists from Tymen, Ryazan, Moscow. It was associated with exhibition of specialized uniform and bandage products.
- The International training course was successfully held from 16th to 28th of September for a large group of orthopedic doctors from Beijing and provinces of China. The course theme was principles of Ilizarov method application in traumatology and orthopedics. The course supervisor Anatoly Karasev was recently nominated Professor Emeritus by Chinese colleagues of Hainan University Hospital.
- The I Interregional Sambo Tournament in memory of Merited doctor of Russia, awarded thrice with the Order of Lenin, with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour, Hero of Socialist Labour academician Gavriil Ilizarov was held on the 7th of September in Kurgan. Over 200 young athletes from several regions came for the competition organized with endorsement of ASAMI Russia.
- The Consul-General of Great Britain Richard Dewell visited the Ilizarov Center for the first time. During the visit the official delegation discussed potential fields of cooperation with the director A.Gubin such as educational activities and research. Since the years of 2000 Ilizarov Fellowship program has involved foreign surgeons including doctors from the UK. The Consul-General learnt about medical tourism developed in the Ilizarov Center and patients who came from Great Britain for reconstructive orthopedic treatment to the world-known Kurgan clinic.
- The Ilizarov Fellowship program met surgeons from India and Mexico. Dr Juan Conrado Mundo Sierra, Dr Sushan Singh Bhasin and Dr Sanhar Mohan came to the Russian Ilizarov Center to advance their knowledge and skills in application of transosseous osteosynthesis in pediatric and adult trauma and orthopedics, reconstruction and bone infection.
- Four spinal surgeries applying a new technique of vertebrae pedicle lengthening were performed by an international team of surgeons including the author of the method. Innovative surgical implants for percutaneous lengthening of spinal pedicles are designed to correct spinal stenosis by Greg Anderson (the President of the Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery).
- Dedicated to the 100th anniversary of famous Russian orthopedist – academician Gavriil Ilizarov – French orthopedic surgery society (SOFCOT) launched a series of articles about Ilizarov legacy in the SOFCOT Informational bulletin.
- On the 20th of October the Ilizarov Center Park became a place of competition for sport orienteering athletes. The park orienteering has become a new trend in this sport. 96 sportsmen from 7 to 66 years old took part in the “Ilizarov sprint” competition on park orienteering.
- An intensive care unit for senile patients was opened in the trauma-orthopedic department #2 specialized on patients of the age from 60 to 97 years old (it is the age of the oldest patient of the Ilizarov Center by now). For the moment 3 patients over 90 years old are being treated in this department, they underwent a joint replacement procedure. Capacity of the ICU is 4 beds, it is supposed to prepare patients for surgery and take care of them immediately after procedure.
- Three young surgeons of the Ilizarov Center received the grant of the 94th SOFCOT congress (French Society for Orthopaedic Surgery). There are 10 of these grants available to foreign surgeons. This year doctors E.Oleinikov, A.Tryapitchnikov and O.Gatamov received a €500 stipend, and free access to the SOFCOT congress. The meeting took place on the 11-13th of November in Paris.
- During the 40th SICOT Orthopaedic World Congress that took place in Muscat, Oman, (4-7 December) Alexander Gubin was nominated a National Representative from Russia, succeeding Nikolay Zagorodny. The SICOT mission is to promote advancement of science and the art of orthopaedics and traumatology at an international level for the improvement of patient care, development of research and education and to facilitate the exchange of professional experience and fellowship.