- Ilizarov Readings 2020 - the annual international meeting of orthopedic and trauma surgeons from all over the world - will take place this year on the15th of June. The date of the conference has been changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic as well as the mode of the event that will be held online. To participate in the conference "A year before the 100th anniversary of academician Ilizarov" follow the link
- The Ilizarov Center announces a monograph «Understanding in Children with Cerebral Palsy: Orthopedic Problems; ISBN 978-1-53618-046-6» NOVA Science Publishers which treats a wide range of issues relied to cerebral palsy. A group of 40 authors from 9 medical and educational institutions of Russia contributed their experience to this volume written under edition of Professor Dmitry Popkov.
- The 15th of May is International MPS Awareness Day a way to honour everyone in the MPS Community, to recognize, remember and rejoice in each other. Mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) diseases are genetic lysosomal diseases (LD) caused by the body's inability to produce specific enzymes. Statistics currently states over 300 MPS diagnosed cases in Russia. Clinic of spine pathology and orphan diseases of the Ilizarov Center manages MPS patients. A case of MPS-VI in a 11-year-old girl was operated on recently in the department #9. The surgery of deformity correction in spine allowed to the girl to gain 7 cm in height immediately.
- Ilizarov Center Faculty uses online mode of training in post-graduate education certification course on traumatology and orthopedics. Due to pandemic situation over 20 surgeons from all over Russia "attend" this 5-week-long course and via video-conference.
The Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center for Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics, Kurgan, Russia, runs several training programs. The offered dates in 2020 are as follows:
March 30-April 24, 2020
June 1-26, 2020
August 31-September 25, 2020
September 28 – October 23, 2020
November 2-27, 2020
Ilizarov Mini-fellowship Session 1
Ilizarov Mini-fellowship Session 2
Ilizarov Mini-fellowship Session 3
Ilizarov Mini-fellowship Session 4
Ilizarov Mini-fellowship Session 5
March 16-27, 2020
May 18-29, 2020
August 17-28, 2020
Ilizarov Master course
Ilizarov Master course
Ilizarov Master course
- A neurosurgeon of the Ilizarov Center Olga Sergeenko participated in the 54th Annual Meeting & Course of the Scoliosis Research Society. Her trip was covered by annual traveling fellowship program sponsored by SRS fellows. The event was held on September 18-21, 2019 in Montréal, Canada.
- Specialists of the Ilizarov Center, Prof. A.Gubin, M.Teplenky, A.Sudnitsyn took part in a conference "Curso de fijacion externa e infecciones" (Course on external fixation and infection) held by the Colombian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology on the 12- 14th of September in Cartagena, Colombia. Presentations of Kurgan doctors were devoted to the possibilities of the Ilizarov method in solving the problems of traumatology and orthopedics. Mikhail Teplenky, MD, Ph.D. held a workshop for foreign colleagues on the formation of pelvic support in patients with congenital dislocation of the hip joint.
- The 2nd All-Russian Scientific Practical Educational Conference “Safe activity of nurses” united nurses, training staff and organizes of nursing processes on the 27th of September in the Ilizarov Center conference hall. The conference was attended by 290 delegates, including 90 nurses of the Ilizarov clinic as well as representatives of 26 medical institutions of Kurgan, 28 hospitals, ambulatories of the region, professors of St.Petersburg Center for Postgraduate Study, faculty of Nursing Management of Russian University of People Friendship Medical School, specialists from Tymen, Ryazan, Moscow. It was associated with exhibition of specialized uniform and bandage products.
- The International training course was successfully held from 16th to 28th of September for a large group of orthopedic doctors from Beijing and provinces of China. The course theme was principles of Ilizarov method application in traumatology and orthopedics. The course supervisor Anatoly Karasev was recently nominated Professor Emeritus by Chinese colleagues of Hainan University Hospital.
- The I Interregional Sambo Tournament in memory of Merited doctor of Russia, awarded thrice with the Order of Lenin, with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour, Hero of Socialist Labour academician Gavriil Ilizarov was held on the 7th of September in Kurgan. Over 200 young athletes from several regions came for the competition organized with endorsement of ASAMI Russia.
- The Consul-General of Great Britain Richard Dewell visited the Ilizarov Center for the first time. During the visit the official delegation discussed potential fields of cooperation with the director A.Gubin such as educational activities and research. Since the years of 2000 Ilizarov Fellowship program has involved foreign surgeons including doctors from the UK. The Consul-General learnt about medical tourism developed in the Ilizarov Center and patients who came from Great Britain for reconstructive orthopedic treatment to the world-known Kurgan clinic.
- The Ilizarov Fellowship program met surgeons from India and Mexico. Dr Juan Conrado Mundo Sierra, Dr Sushan Singh Bhasin and Dr Sanhar Mohan came to the Russian Ilizarov Center to advance their knowledge and skills in application of transosseous osteosynthesis in pediatric and adult trauma and orthopedics, reconstruction and bone infection.
- Four spinal surgeries applying a new technique of vertebrae pedicle lengthening were performed by an international team of surgeons including the author of the method. Innovative surgical implants for percutaneous lengthening of spinal pedicles are designed to correct spinal stenosis by Greg Anderson (the President of the Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery).
- Dedicated to the 100th anniversary of famous Russian orthopedist – academician Gavriil Ilizarov – French orthopedic surgery society (SOFCOT) launched a series of articles about Ilizarov legacy in the SOFCOT Informational bulletin.
- On the 20th of October the Ilizarov Center Park became a place of competition for sport orienteering athletes. The park orienteering has become a new trend in this sport. 96 sportsmen from 7 to 66 years old took part in the “Ilizarov sprint” competition on park orienteering.
- An intensive care unit for senile patients was opened in the trauma-orthopedic department #2 specialized on patients of the age from 60 to 97 years old (it is the age of the oldest patient of the Ilizarov Center by now). For the moment 3 patients over 90 years old are being treated in this department, they underwent a joint replacement procedure. Capacity of the ICU is 4 beds, it is supposed to prepare patients for surgery and take care of them immediately after procedure.
- Three young surgeons of the Ilizarov Center received the grant of the 94th SOFCOT congress (French Society for Orthopaedic Surgery). There are 10 of these grants available to foreign surgeons. This year doctors E.Oleinikov, A.Tryapitchnikov and O.Gatamov received a €500 stipend, and free access to the SOFCOT congress. The meeting took place on the 11-13th of November in Paris.
- During the 40th SICOT Orthopaedic World Congress that took place in Muscat, Oman, (4-7 December) Alexander Gubin was nominated a National Representative from Russia, succeeding Nikolay Zagorodny. The SICOT mission is to promote advancement of science and the art of orthopaedics and traumatology at an international level for the improvement of patient care, development of research and education and to facilitate the exchange of professional experience and fellowship.
- Young surgeons of the Ilizarov Center participated in the VI International Olympic Games for resident doctors of trauma and orthopedics specialty that was held in Smolensk, June, 21-22. 71 residents and 26 teams took part in this professional skills competition. Resident doctors from Kurgan – Ilia Sutiaguin, Timur Latypov and Anton Lushnikov – achieved good results in individual competition (all of them in Top20 score), as a team they scored the 6th place.
- The Eurasian Orthopedic Forum welcomed delegates from 18 countries on the 28-29th of June in Moscow. Russia was represented by participants from a dozen of cities. Kurgan team consisted of Alexander Gubin, Anna Aranovich, Mikhail Tyoplenky, Andrey Kaminsky, Oksana Prudnikova, Artem Reznik, Mairbeck Pliev and Akhmet Tomov. Their free papers were presented in sessions “Robototechnics, navigation and 3D modeling in spinal surgery”, “Pediatric trauma and orthopedics”, “Reconstructive hand surgery and plastic surgery”, etc.
- Doctor Yong Hong Zhang (Shangsi, China) completed his month-long Fellowship in the Ilizarov Center. The University Hospital where Dr Yong Hong works is as big as the Ilizarov Center and the method of Ilizarov is very popular and widely applied there. Dr Yong Hong came to Kurgan for the second time at the invitation of director A.Gubin.
- A unique gallery appeared on the walls of the Ilizarov Center library. Portraits of 12 outstanding world-known orthopedists depicted a story of development and important inventions and scientific breakthrough of the 20th century in the sphere of trauma and orthopedic surgery. The project was designed to the 50th anniversary of the library. Funds of the library has grown from 2300 units in 1969 to over 70 000 by now, among them rare editions on traumatology and orthopedics of the 19th -20th centuries, filing of Military Medicine Revue of the years 1895-1912, Atlas of Pirogov in 6 volumes, first editions of Gavriil Ilizarov.
- Invited lecturers of the “Ilizarov Readings 2019” Pr Szymon Pietrzak, Tomasz Parol and the EPOS President Jaroslaw Czubak planted young trees in front of “snowflake” building of the Center as a beginning of Ilizarov grove. Small oak-trees were brought from Belovezh, Poland – the birthplace of academician Gavriil Ilizarov. That gift to Kurgan clinic on the birthday of orthopedic genius symbolized importance of forces of nature and strong relations between Russian and Polish professional communities.
Scientific Marathon in the Ilizarov Center from the 11th till 15th of June started with 2nd All-Russian Traumatologic and Orthopedic Veterinary Conference dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the experimental department of the Ilizarov Center (150 participants). It was followed by 1st Regional Forum “Medicine. Manufacturing. Pharmacology” (90 participants) and Annual International Scientific and Practical Conference “Ilizarov Readings” (240 participants).
- The 10th Athletic Competition for the prizes of the “Gentleman of the Order of Smile” was successfully held on the 11th of June. It united over 300 runners from kinder-gardens, 200 school pupils, more than 100 patients and staff of the Ilizarov Center.
- Five foreign patients were treated in July in the Ilizarov Center. For them the Kurgan clinic became the only hope for cure. A girl from Qatar with congenital malformation of leg undergone 8 unsuccessful surgeries before her parents found out the opportunity of treatment in the Ilizarov Center. An 11-year-old girl from Alger with congenital hip dislocation was never treated before, her family was advised to go for hip reconstruction to Kurgan (Russia) by Dr Rauph Letrech, an Ilizarov Fellow researcher and surgeon. Three patients from Iraq came to the Ilizarov Center looking for spinal hernia management.
- The Ilizarov Museum received a gift from grateful parents of a cured little patient. A couple from Qatar came to Kurgan for the second time, last summer they brought their daughter for consultation and this year the treatment was successfully finished. Abdul and Mariam wished to leave a national souvenir for Russian doctors and presented a national Qatar man outfit. It enlarged a collection of national costumes in the museum.
- The British Limb Reconstruction Society (BLRS) hosted the 4th Combined Congress of the ASAMI-BR & ILLRS societies, in Liverpool, UK from 27th - 30th August 2019. Leading specialists of the Ilizarov method met together for sharing knowledge and skills. Geography of participants spread all over the world: Russia, USA, Spain, Italy, UK, Brazil, China, Egypt, Bangladesh. A delegation of 11 doctors represented the Ilizarov Center.
- A commemorative plaque of a new design appeared on the house where academician Gavriil Ilizarov lived and worked from 1974 till 1992. It replaced a previous memorial plate at the initiative of ASAMI Russia group on the eve of 100th anniversary of the famous orthopedists.
- Four doctors from Pakistan and Mauritius participated in a 10-day-long training course on the transosseous osteosynthesis by Ilizarov.
- “AQUAFEST 2019”, an international art festival, came to the Ilizarov park. Patients of our clinic took part in a work-shop on watercolor painting. Professional painters together with amateurs created landscape sketches inspired by Indian summer nature.