- A neurosurgeon of the Ilizarov Center Olga Sergeenko participated in the 54th Annual Meeting & Course of the Scoliosis Research Society. Her trip was covered by annual traveling fellowship program sponsored by SRS fellows. The event was held on September 18-21, 2019 in Montréal, Canada.
- Specialists of the Ilizarov Center, Prof. A.Gubin, M.Teplenky, A.Sudnitsyn took part in a conference "Curso de fijacion externa e infecciones" (Course on external fixation and infection) held by the Colombian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology on the 12- 14th of September in Cartagena, Colombia. Presentations of Kurgan doctors were devoted to the possibilities of the Ilizarov method in solving the problems of traumatology and orthopedics. Mikhail Teplenky, MD, Ph.D. held a workshop for foreign colleagues on the formation of pelvic support in patients with congenital dislocation of the hip joint.
- The 2nd All-Russian Scientific Practical Educational Conference “Safe activity of nurses” united nurses, training staff and organizes of nursing processes on the 27th of September in the Ilizarov Center conference hall. The conference was attended by 290 delegates, including 90 nurses of the Ilizarov clinic as well as representatives of 26 medical institutions of Kurgan, 28 hospitals, ambulatories of the region, professors of St.Petersburg Center for Postgraduate Study, faculty of Nursing Management of Russian University of People Friendship Medical School, specialists from Tymen, Ryazan, Moscow. It was associated with exhibition of specialized uniform and bandage products.
- The International training course was successfully held from 16th to 28th of September for a large group of orthopedic doctors from Beijing and provinces of China. The course theme was principles of Ilizarov method application in traumatology and orthopedics. The course supervisor Anatoly Karasev was recently nominated Professor Emeritus by Chinese colleagues of Hainan University Hospital.
- The I Interregional Sambo Tournament in memory of Merited doctor of Russia, awarded thrice with the Order of Lenin, with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour, Hero of Socialist Labour academician Gavriil Ilizarov was held on the 7th of September in Kurgan. Over 200 young athletes from several regions came for the competition organized with endorsement of ASAMI Russia.
- The Consul-General of Great Britain Richard Dewell visited the Ilizarov Center for the first time. During the visit the official delegation discussed potential fields of cooperation with the director A.Gubin such as educational activities and research. Since the years of 2000 Ilizarov Fellowship program has involved foreign surgeons including doctors from the UK. The Consul-General learnt about medical tourism developed in the Ilizarov Center and patients who came from Great Britain for reconstructive orthopedic treatment to the world-known Kurgan clinic.
- The Ilizarov Fellowship program met surgeons from India and Mexico. Dr Juan Conrado Mundo Sierra, Dr Sushan Singh Bhasin and Dr Sanhar Mohan came to the Russian Ilizarov Center to advance their knowledge and skills in application of transosseous osteosynthesis in pediatric and adult trauma and orthopedics, reconstruction and bone infection.
- Four spinal surgeries applying a new technique of vertebrae pedicle lengthening were performed by an international team of surgeons including the author of the method. Innovative surgical implants for percutaneous lengthening of spinal pedicles are designed to correct spinal stenosis by Greg Anderson (the President of the Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery).
- Dedicated to the 100th anniversary of famous Russian orthopedist – academician Gavriil Ilizarov – French orthopedic surgery society (SOFCOT) launched a series of articles about Ilizarov legacy in the SOFCOT Informational bulletin.
- On the 20th of October the Ilizarov Center Park became a place of competition for sport orienteering athletes. The park orienteering has become a new trend in this sport. 96 sportsmen from 7 to 66 years old took part in the “Ilizarov sprint” competition on park orienteering.
- An intensive care unit for senile patients was opened in the trauma-orthopedic department #2 specialized on patients of the age from 60 to 97 years old (it is the age of the oldest patient of the Ilizarov Center by now). For the moment 3 patients over 90 years old are being treated in this department, they underwent a joint replacement procedure. Capacity of the ICU is 4 beds, it is supposed to prepare patients for surgery and take care of them immediately after procedure.
- Three young surgeons of the Ilizarov Center received the grant of the 94th SOFCOT congress (French Society for Orthopaedic Surgery). There are 10 of these grants available to foreign surgeons. This year doctors E.Oleinikov, A.Tryapitchnikov and O.Gatamov received a €500 stipend, and free access to the SOFCOT congress. The meeting took place on the 11-13th of November in Paris.
- During the 40th SICOT Orthopaedic World Congress that took place in Muscat, Oman, (4-7 December) Alexander Gubin was nominated a National Representative from Russia, succeeding Nikolay Zagorodny. The SICOT mission is to promote advancement of science and the art of orthopaedics and traumatology at an international level for the improvement of patient care, development of research and education and to facilitate the exchange of professional experience and fellowship.
- Young surgeons of the Ilizarov Center participated in the VI International Olympic Games for resident doctors of trauma and orthopedics specialty that was held in Smolensk, June, 21-22. 71 residents and 26 teams took part in this professional skills competition. Resident doctors from Kurgan – Ilia Sutiaguin, Timur Latypov and Anton Lushnikov – achieved good results in individual competition (all of them in Top20 score), as a team they scored the 6th place.
- The Eurasian Orthopedic Forum welcomed delegates from 18 countries on the 28-29th of June in Moscow. Russia was represented by participants from a dozen of cities. Kurgan team consisted of Alexander Gubin, Anna Aranovich, Mikhail Tyoplenky, Andrey Kaminsky, Oksana Prudnikova, Artem Reznik, Mairbeck Pliev and Akhmet Tomov. Their free papers were presented in sessions “Robototechnics, navigation and 3D modeling in spinal surgery”, “Pediatric trauma and orthopedics”, “Reconstructive hand surgery and plastic surgery”, etc.
- Doctor Yong Hong Zhang (Shangsi, China) completed his month-long Fellowship in the Ilizarov Center. The University Hospital where Dr Yong Hong works is as big as the Ilizarov Center and the method of Ilizarov is very popular and widely applied there. Dr Yong Hong came to Kurgan for the second time at the invitation of director A.Gubin.
- A unique gallery appeared on the walls of the Ilizarov Center library. Portraits of 12 outstanding world-known orthopedists depicted a story of development and important inventions and scientific breakthrough of the 20th century in the sphere of trauma and orthopedic surgery. The project was designed to the 50th anniversary of the library. Funds of the library has grown from 2300 units in 1969 to over 70 000 by now, among them rare editions on traumatology and orthopedics of the 19th -20th centuries, filing of Military Medicine Revue of the years 1895-1912, Atlas of Pirogov in 6 volumes, first editions of Gavriil Ilizarov.
- Invited lecturers of the “Ilizarov Readings 2019” Pr Szymon Pietrzak, Tomasz Parol and the EPOS President Jaroslaw Czubak planted young trees in front of “snowflake” building of the Center as a beginning of Ilizarov grove. Small oak-trees were brought from Belovezh, Poland – the birthplace of academician Gavriil Ilizarov. That gift to Kurgan clinic on the birthday of orthopedic genius symbolized importance of forces of nature and strong relations between Russian and Polish professional communities.
Scientific Marathon in the Ilizarov Center from the 11th till 15th of June started with 2nd All-Russian Traumatologic and Orthopedic Veterinary Conference dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the experimental department of the Ilizarov Center (150 participants). It was followed by 1st Regional Forum “Medicine. Manufacturing. Pharmacology” (90 participants) and Annual International Scientific and Practical Conference “Ilizarov Readings” (240 participants).
- The 10th Athletic Competition for the prizes of the “Gentleman of the Order of Smile” was successfully held on the 11th of June. It united over 300 runners from kinder-gardens, 200 school pupils, more than 100 patients and staff of the Ilizarov Center.
- Five foreign patients were treated in July in the Ilizarov Center. For them the Kurgan clinic became the only hope for cure. A girl from Qatar with congenital malformation of leg undergone 8 unsuccessful surgeries before her parents found out the opportunity of treatment in the Ilizarov Center. An 11-year-old girl from Alger with congenital hip dislocation was never treated before, her family was advised to go for hip reconstruction to Kurgan (Russia) by Dr Rauph Letrech, an Ilizarov Fellow researcher and surgeon. Three patients from Iraq came to the Ilizarov Center looking for spinal hernia management.
- The Ilizarov Museum received a gift from grateful parents of a cured little patient. A couple from Qatar came to Kurgan for the second time, last summer they brought their daughter for consultation and this year the treatment was successfully finished. Abdul and Mariam wished to leave a national souvenir for Russian doctors and presented a national Qatar man outfit. It enlarged a collection of national costumes in the museum.
- The British Limb Reconstruction Society (BLRS) hosted the 4th Combined Congress of the ASAMI-BR & ILLRS societies, in Liverpool, UK from 27th - 30th August 2019. Leading specialists of the Ilizarov method met together for sharing knowledge and skills. Geography of participants spread all over the world: Russia, USA, Spain, Italy, UK, Brazil, China, Egypt, Bangladesh. A delegation of 11 doctors represented the Ilizarov Center.
- A commemorative plaque of a new design appeared on the house where academician Gavriil Ilizarov lived and worked from 1974 till 1992. It replaced a previous memorial plate at the initiative of ASAMI Russia group on the eve of 100th anniversary of the famous orthopedists.
- Four doctors from Pakistan and Mauritius participated in a 10-day-long training course on the transosseous osteosynthesis by Ilizarov.
- “AQUAFEST 2019”, an international art festival, came to the Ilizarov park. Patients of our clinic took part in a work-shop on watercolor painting. Professional painters together with amateurs created landscape sketches inspired by Indian summer nature.
- During the Forum on orphan diseases on the 1st of March in Moscow the Ilizarov Center was awarded with the “Silver Line” prize. The award was dedicated to those who contributed a lot to advancement of care of patients with rare diseases. Polina Ochirova, a surgeon of the Ilizarov Center shared the experience of our clinic in orthopedic treatment of MPS 4a type patients. Since 2012 in the Kurgan clinic 40 patients with orphan diseases have been treated.
- The book “Ilizarov’s philosophy“ written by Alexander Gubin can be read now in English. It was translated from Russian by Tatiana Malkova, an interpreter of the Informational Analytical Department of the Ilizarov Center. The book in English can be downloaded from the website http://www.ilizarov.ru/images/2019/booka-2.pdf
- For the second time the Ilizarov Center welcomes speakers and guests of the conference “Diagnostic Radiology in Traumatology and Orthopedics”. On the 22nd of March over 100 specialists of radiologic methods of diagnostics in spine pathology, rare systemic diseases of the loco-motor system, oncotherapy, reparative process in fracture management from Russia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, China gathered in Kurgan to share research and clinical experience.
- The Huaxian Orthopaedic Hospital of Henan Province (China) and Ilizarov Center (Russia) signed an agreement on mutual collaboration in research and educational activity on the 28th of March. At the moment of signing the contract 13 specialists from China were completing training courses on transosseous osteosynthesis by Ilizarov. The Chinese mass media about this cooperation: http://sputniknews.cn/russia_china_relations/201903201027969694/
- A delegation of Uzbekistan headed by the Consul-General Abdusalom Khatamov visited the Ilizarov Center and its Museum of Traumatology and Orthopedics. The delegation learnt the history of world-known method, Ilizarov philosophy that built a scientific foundation for all new orthopedic techniques.
- During the 38th Congress of EPOS (European Paediatric Orthopaedic Society) held on the 3-6th of April in Tel Aviv (Israel) a multicentral study «Combined technique with hydroxyapatite coated intramedullary nails in treatment of anterolateral bowing of congenital pseudarthrosis of tibia» was presented by expert of the Ilizarov Center Dmitry Popkov (Authors: Arnold Popkov, Pierre Lascombes, Mikan Lazovic, Sinisa Ducic, Dmitry Popkov). Materials of the study accumulated the results of collaboration of pediatric specialists from Russia, Switzerland and Serbia. The only partner orthopedic association of the EPOS in Russian Federation is ASAMI Russia.
- The Ilizarov Center received a certificate of prolongation of AOSpine Center status till 2020. This status was attributed to the Kurgan clinic in 2017. During that year two AOSpine Fellow doctors from Austria and Turkey participated in the educational program in the Center, and 5 surgeons from Nigeria in 2018. https://aospine.aofoundation.org
- The Gait Analysis Laboratory of Ilizarov Center is a unique facility of the kind available for pediatric orthopedic diagnostics in Russia. After excursion to the laboratory and a lecture of Prof Dmitry Popkov, a group of pupils decided to participate in a series of diagnostic tests as a control reference group of healthy gait patterns. The teenagers would be able to use the results of their experimental activity in preparing a research project for the school scientific conference.
- The academic chamber choir of the Ilizarov Center became a winner of the Grand-Prix of V International Art Contest “Art. Inspiration. Talent!” in Kazan (Russia). A legendary group of singing doctors with a 40-year-long history performed in the best concert halls of Kurgan, participated in many festivals and choir contests in Yekaterinburg, Omsk, Moscow, Saint-Petersburg, in Kazakhstan and Austria.
- A delegation of Ilizarov spinal surgeons from Kurgan took part in the 8th GLOBAL SPINE CONGRESS (GSC) on the 15-18th of May in Toronto (Canada). This congress with AOSpine endorsement gathered over thousand specialists in spinal pathology. The Ilizarov Center experience in this sphere was presented in free papers of neurosurgeons Oxana Prudnikova, Alexander Gubin, Egor Filatov, Andrey Kobyzev, Serguey Lulin.
- The 2nd International Educational Course on Endoscopic Spinal Surgery of the Lumber spine was successfully held on the 15-16th of January in Lisbon (Portugal) for over 50 specialists from Europe and America. Dr Serguey Lulin, the head of Low-invasive spinal surgery and oncovertebrology unit (Ilizarov Center) shared the experience of endoscopic techniques applied in Kurgan as a speaker and in live surgery.
- Age continuity is one of the major principles of the Ilizarov Clinic, patients can be treated here from the young till senior age. The story of a 19-year-old Paralympic athlete Aivaz Bikmurzin demonstrates it. His first application to the Ilizarov Center was at the age of 11 for the foot deformity treatment as a result of spinabifida, 8 years later despite his adult age, the patient continues his follow up consultations by the same surgeon – Serguey Leonchuk. because of the principle of age continuity of orthopedic care. Aivaz goes in for workout and 5-fold champion of Russia in sledge-hockey.
- ASAMICON 2019 took place in India on the 18-21st of January. The National ASAMI of India advertised a contest of research papers in the frame of the meeting. The winner would be able to participate in Fellowship programs of clinics in Russia, Great Britain, China. Two Indian orthopedists would come to the Ilizarov Center with support of ASAMI India in 2019.
- The 6th Meeting of ASAMI Bangladesh was held on the 6-7th of February with participation of Kurgan delegation, including Dmitry Borzunov, Konstantin Novikov, Nikolay Klushin and Vladimir Shevtsov, the Professors Emeritus of the Ilizarov Center.
- On the 8-9th of February specialists of the Ilizarov Center Valentina Kamysheva, Alexander Gubin and Dmitry Popkov took part in the meeting on Controversies of pediatric reconstruction in Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (Dallas, USA). The goal of the meeting was to share the experience in management of Blount disease, congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia, congenital malformation of lower limbs, Pertes disease, etc.
- Kurgan Medical Cluster held a round table on “Ecology of life:medicine, science, innovation” on the 12th of February. Top-scoring students of Medical colleges of Kurgan, Shadrinsk, Yurgamysh and Makushino gathered in the Ilizarov Center for discussion with researches and leading specialist of the field.
- On the 19th of February the completions of the Cup of Director of Healthcare Department of Kurgan Region was started. 7 teams would compete in different sports beginning with volleyball games. The Ilizarov Center team got the silver in this kind of sport and finally became the winners of the Cup after all the competitions.
- Director of the Ilizarov Center Alexander Gubin and the Head of Clinic of bone infection Nikolay Klushin were invited to the 18th International Educational Course and Forum on Deformity Correction and Limb Reconstruction in Shanghai (China) held on the 22-23 of February.
- The 29th of February is a “rare” day that occurs once in four years, that is why the date was chosen as the Rare Disease Day to raise awareness for rare diseases and improve access to treatment and medical representation for individuals with rare diseases and their families. The Ilizarov Clinic of spine pathology and rare diseases organized a meeting of doctors and families involved in treatment of mucopolysaccharidosis. 250 patients were diagnosed with MPS in Russia, 5 of them in the Ural region. Serguey Ryabykh, Polina Ochirova and Dmitry Popkov are Ilizarov surgeons who are included in the expert council on rare diseases in Russia, in the Ilizarov Center 8 MPS patients had already undergone surgical treatment on spine and limbs.